Monday, September 21, 2015

Akron on a Sunday Afternoon


This city
It has worked itself into my dreams like no other place before
The streets where I wandered as a youth no longer occupy my thoughts
It used to be my refuge
My safe place to be


Wanderer that I am I thought home would always come first
I didn't count on the meaning of home changing on me like it has


Home used to be a lonely place full of empty streets
Flat and  busy with cars that do not stop
Now the streets swing high and low on a Sunday afternoon
Hills washed in gold by the setting sun of early fall
Cheerful and welcoming


The more I see
The more I find
The more I love


Sometimes this emotion is too much
I laugh at myself for feeling so strongly for this place
At other times I think that no one else could possibly love it more
Then there are those men and women I have met
Those who allow me to see this gem through their eyes


I am struck by how much this city is loved, beloved, embraced
The one person who could rightly lay claim to being its greatest admirer
Allowed me into his private realm
I saw this place through the eyes of a father
Looking from his vantage point
I saw his hopes, felt his love, his pride and his regrets for this place
I became smitten once again
This city has won my heart


For every reason there is to want to leave
There are a thousand little things that keep you rooted here
There is no place like home
Until home is this new place


No comments:

Post a Comment